Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member mynaemisjonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    I want to try to pick up two of these units and create a 10 ch stereo summing system..

    Where can I read about the differences between the 1592A and B? Which one would work better for this kind of application?

    Where can I buy proper Transformers? Obviously I'll need them all to be matching to get the Left and Right Mixer to sound the same.

    What other parts can I expect to replace to get them both working correctly?

    Also do these fit in normal 19" racks? I can't find a picture of them actually IN a rack.

    - Ian

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    Hi Ian, :welcome:

    1592A
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...92a-mixer.html

    1592B
    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...xers/1592b.zip

    Most common transformer options
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page21.jpg

    Ebay is the easiest source for transformers, but they can be pricey. Sometimes its cheaper to buy an obscure/unpopular piece of gear just for the xfmrs that come with it.

    Expect to replace all the electrolytic caps on something that old. Otherwise it just depends on the unit. The germanium devices can be a trial to cross-reference to something you can buy now.

    Yes, all Altec rack gear mounts in standard racks.

    The 1592s certainly have the cool factor of the green line, and it's reflected in the price. If function is more a concern than cool, look at the newer 1692As. I got a couple of them for a $100 bill, and they were ready to use, and still in use.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mynaemisjonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    I was kind of thinking of putting them in a used sterling modular plan A (the small one) mastering desk and getting other altec units and kind of building an almost console.


    hehe

    Thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    Understood. You're welcome.

    I had that dream once (an all green Altec desk). Spent some decent $ and a whole lotta time only to realize you can do a whole lot more for a whole lot less with the newer gear, and spend more time recording and less time adapting and futzing.

    I've got an Altec 3308A (2x8 stereo) rack desk mixer I don't need that looks like a perfect fit for one side of the top of that plan A desk. Couple of 1712A compressor/limiters for the loops too.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mynaemisjonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    wow, what does that look like? I can't even find anything on google about it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 1592A vs 1592B and transformer Question.

    Pretty much like the 3208 here;

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-11.JPG

    8 assignable in, loop out/in, monitor out, stereo out.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.